Isle of Eigg Lodge
This impressive colonial style Lodge was built in the 1920s for shipping magnate Sir Walter Runciman, who owned Eigg between 1922 and 1966. The building was originally flat roofed, although a pitched roof was added to the central section shortly after completion - in anticipation, perhaps, of the problems caused by flat roof construction in a damp climate, which continued to beset the building. Since the Runciman era, the category B-listed building had been occupied only intermittently, and it had continued to deteriorate. There was extensive dry rot and the building had suffered from prolonged lack of maintenance, leaving it seriously at risk. The islanders of Eigg acquired the building following a community buy-out in 1997.
The Trust worked in partnership with the Isle of Eigg Heritage Trust to investigate the viability of repairs and the prospect of the former 'big hoose' on the island being re-used for the benefit of the community. It was always going to be a challenging project given the desperate condition of the building and its remote location on an island with only 69 inhabitants. Regrettably, the feasibility study found that the prospects for re-use of the Lodge were marginal at best, and this, combined with an estimated project cost of £2.2m led to the conclusion that the project was not viable.
|Simpson and Brown||Architect and Lead Consultant|
|Morham and Brotchie||Quantity Surveyors|
|Peter Stephen and Partners||Structural Engineers|
|Graham and Sibbald||Chartered Surveyor|
Financial support for the feasibility study was secured from the Isle of Eigg Heritage Trust, the Architectural Heritage Fund, Lochaber Enterprise and The Highland Council.
Funding was secured from the following organisations:
- LOCAL PLANNING AUTHORITIES