Callert House, North Ballachulish
Callert House is an elegant small mansion house built on the shores of Loch Leven for Sir Duncan Cameron of Fassifern c.1835. It has been unoccupied since the 1940's and though derelict, much of its original detailing survives intact. Of all the country houses in Lochaber, Callert is one of the most opulent, with its apricot silk wall hangings, gilded cornice work and finely grained panelling. The property was first brought to the attention of the Trust by the Highland Council's conservation architect in 1997. As a building at risk for many years, it had been the subject of a number of abortive schemes by both the owners and speculative private sector interests.
The Trust completed a feasibility study into the repair and re-use of Callert House in 2003 which concluded that the preferred option was to develop Callert House as self-catering holiday accommodation, in partnership with the Vivat Trust. The project was not developed further by the Trust because the building was sold unexpectedly in December 2003 to a private developer who has since redeveloped the property for a mix of self- catering and residential accommodation.
|Leslie F Hunter||Architect and Lead Consultant|
|The Torrance Partnership||Quantity Surveyors|
|Graham and Sibbald||Chartered Surveyors|
|Peter Stephen and Partners||Structural Engineers|
Funding for the feasibility study was obtained from the Architectural Heritage Fund, Lochaber Enterprise and the Highland Council.
Images: T Kenneth Mackenzie